The negotiations between the Council and European Parliament to reach a common position are called trilogues (sometimes also written trialogues). The Commission is also present at these meetings. The Irish presidency reached a political agreement on two of the three parts of the fisheries reform (the basic regulation and the common market organisation) in May 2013. The Lithuanian Presidency will focus on reaching an agreement with the European Parliament on the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) during the second half of 2013.
In the fisheries reform, the trilogues on the basic regulation and market organisation started once the European Parliament adopted its position in first reading and the Council adopted an informal position called ‘general approach’. The agreements reached in these trilogues will have to be officially adopted by Council in first reading and by the Parliament in second reading.
For the EMFF, trilogues started following the adoption of the Parliament’s position – which is not formally the first reading position, because the legislative resolution was postponed, although amendments were adopted – and the Council’s general approach. For the EMFF, trilogues will be held under the first reading procedure.
Read more: Guide to the ordinary legislative procedure.
European Maritime and Fisheries Fund, EMFF
Trilogues start 7 November 2013, following the adoption of the Parliament’s position 23 October 2013 (which is not formally the first reading position, because the legislative resolution was postponed, although amendments were adopted) and the adoption of the Council’s general approach 15 July 2013. The trilogues on the EMFF were concluded 28 January 2014.
– European Maritime and Fisheries Fund, legislative text to be approved by the European Parliament 16 April 2014. This document is the result of a detailed legal-linguistic review of the political agreement between Council and the European Parliament (which was reached 28 January 2014).
– 3-column document on the EMFF comparing the Commission’s proposal, the Parliament’s first reading position and the Council general approach (24 October 2013)
– Council General approach on the EMFF
– European Parliament plenary position on the EMFF
Trilogue timetable, EMFF
Wednesday 13 November (10:00–13:00)
Tuesday 19 November (14:00–17:00)
Tuesday 26 November (8:00–10:00)
Thursday 5 December (9:00–12:00)
Tuesday 10 December (14:00–17:00)
Thursday 19 December, (10:00–12:00 & 16:00–…)
No deal was made in the trilogue 19 December, so the negotiations continued in 2014. A final agreement was reached 28 January 2014.
Trilogues started 19 March, following the adoption of the Parliament’s first reading position 6 February 2013 and the adoption of the Council’s general approach 27 February 2013, and were concluded 30 May.
> Basic regulation consolidated text
> 3-column document on CFP basic regulation comparing the Commission’s proposal, the Parliament’s first reading position and the Council general approach (5 March 2013)
Trilogue timetable, basic regulation
* Tuesday 19 March (10.00-13.00)
* Tuesday 26 March (15.00-18.00)
* Monday 8 April (16.00–18.00)
* Tuesday 9 April (14.00-17.00)
* Wednesday 24 April (18.30-21.30)
* Tuesday 28 May (18.30–21.00)
* Wednesday 29 May (20:00–24:00)
The trilogues on 7 and 14 May were cancelled since the Council did not agree on a new mandate at the Coreper meeting 2 May. A new trilogue meeting has therefore been scheduled 29 May.
Some details are dealt with by in preparatory so-called “technical meetings”, attended by EP Policy advisors, EP fisheries committee secretariat, Council secretariat, Presidency and Commission. These are scheduled for:
* Friday 22 March (11.00–12:30)
* Wednesday 3 April (14.00–15.30)
* Friday 12 April (16.30-18.30)
* Friday 19 April (11.00–13:00)
* Thursday 25 April (16.30-18.30)
* Monday 6 May (10.30–12.00)
* Wednesday 8 May (15.00–16.30)
Common Market Organisation
Trilogues started in February, following the adoption of the Parliament’s first reading position 12 September 2012 and the adoption of the Council’s general approach 12 June 2012, and were concluded 8 May.
> CMO regulation consolidated text (13.6.2013)
> 3-column document on CMO regulation comparing the Commission’s proposal, the Parliament’s first reading position and the Council general approach (19 February 2013)
Timetable, common market organisation
* Wednesday 27 February (9–11:30)
* Wednesday 27 March (9–11:30)
* Wednesday 8 May (9–12:30)